Thursday, January 17, 2008

Haylie's First Bath & First Meltdown






Haylie woke us up at 4:30 after sleeping 12 hours. We went ahead and had breakfast and then tried putting her on the "pot". They had told us at the orphanage that she was pretty much potty trained--they put all the kids on a little pot first thing every morning and then after every meal. Well, the apartment has a baby pot so we tried it, and sure enough right after breakfast, she pee peed on the pot and then later in the day even poopied on the pot--amazing!! We're still leaving diapers on her and she has also used them.




After the pot excitement, I gave her her first bath in the kitchen sink (there is only a shower stall in the apartment). She did pretty good and smelled sooooo good afterwards. She played for a while without any problem. Around 9 she started crying like crazy and wouldn't stop no matter what. We couldn't find any way to comfort her. I don't know if she is upset from teething or has a tummy ache. I finally gave her some tylenol and she settled down and fell asleep for a little while. We had hoped it was a one time occurence since she had been sooo good the last 2 days, but we of course were wrong.




We had to go to the US Embassy to apply for her US visa and immigration papers. She had another meltdown on the ride to the Embassy that continued the entire 1 1/2 hours we were there--joyjoy. While there we met 2 other couples adopting--both adopting 2 at the same time!! One couple was from California, the other from Chicago. Both of them were on their 3rd trip over because their 10 day waiting period was not waived like ours was--they were adopting from other regions than us.




Luckily, the other kiddos were pretty fussy too, but Haylie was definately the loudest. Crazy thing was, as soon as we got back to the apartment she settled down and was fine the rest of the afternoon. She did again have a crying jag at bedtime that couldn't be comforted either. I finally gave her more Tylenol and put her to bed crying, which I hated to do. But she quickly fell asleep and is currently sleeping soundly. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. Daddy says he had no idea babies were soooo much work--surprise!!

7 comments:

kitzkazventure said...

I can't stand how cute she is! I am so happy for you AND that everthing has gone smoothly....yeah, we didn't leave the apartment much in Kaz because of the crying....it is a normal reaction for them but quite overwhelming to a new parent! ;)
She is just so cute and petite! Maybe you can buy some fabric and make one of those sling things I see everyone using. Sorry about the stroller....Hope the next few days go well. Thanks for catching us up! Karen

Anonymous said...

Hi Chick

I have been checking your blogg every hour to see if you have added anything. I'm so glad to finally see some pictures!! She is soooooo cute. Sooooooo little. I can't wait to hold her. I'm glad to hear everything is going good for you all. You all will be home a week from today. I can't wait!! Looking forward to see more pictures. Put them on if you can.

Love ya Miss ya

Marcia

Carrie said...

Jody - I am thrilled to be reading your adoption story!! It has brought back a flood of memories and has gotten me more excited about going to get Sam.

Sophie lived on bread and yogurt (which supposedly she was alleric to) the whole time we were in Russia. We also took a stroller with us and never used it once. Sophie would not let me put her down. So we did the Kremlin tour with a 25 pound child on my hip!! My left shoulder still hurts -but it was all worth it.

Remember my adoption story Sophie cried the first full day - she even tried to "escape." Poor thing kept running to the door of our little hotel room.

These will all be wonderful hysterical fabulous memories soon. Enjoy the last part of your trip!!!

Carrie

Carrie said...

Oh my goodness how could I forget -Haylie is absolutely beautiful!!!!
I guess I am just torn up over this miracle of adoption!!

Carrie

Dawn said...

I have been a lurker for a few months and I am so happy to see your little one with you she is precious : )

Our little man is from Proko also, he has been home for a little over a year. Dr. Lubmilla hasn't changed a bit. Our son was so little also, 19 months and 19 lbs and was in a 9 month when he came home. I put him back on a bottle at bed time for a few months for attachment and instead of milk I gave him the Toddler formula for the nutrition, it really helped put some meat on his bones and he was so comforted doing this. He wasn't even on the growth charts and now he is perfect.

He was pretty good but he freaked out a little here and there. Their little worlds have just been turned upside down and they cannot understand what is going on. Even though they are our babies, they have no idea that we are their parents and it will take time for her to understand that, we are strangers to them. I remember looking at Logan, he had this look on his face like this is great and all but when am I going to see my family and friends again, when am I going home. Unfortunately our babies have been so sheltered in the baby-house that they get over-stimulated and scared out in public easily.

We were first time parents also and it was a little overwhelming. We did a lot of reading on adjusting/attachment so we took the advice and regressed Logan back a little so he could be a baby and learn that all of his needs were going to be met by us.

Keep a smile on your face and remember you'll be home before you know it and settled into a nice routine.

I am looking forward to your updates, Haylie is beautiful! Make sure to check out our blog : ) and I wish you safe travels home.

Nancy said...

Just found your blog today - what an exciting time to stumble in!!! Congratulations on your beautiful new addition!!

Anonymous said...

Momma Jody,

I am sitting here with tears in my eyes at how beautiful your little girl is. What a miracle!! I know it is scary for her right now, but just love her and hold on tight and she will adjust in time. She is absolutely precious and will bring you much happiness and joy to our whole family. I know all of us are waiting and anticipating snuggling up to her and giving her all the loving and care she could ever want or need.

You are lucky...but Haylie is even luckier to have a momma like you!!

SEE you next week.

Love,

Lisa