Tuesday, January 27, 2009

We've Started Daycare!!!

Check out these hairdo's!!!



Well, we broke down and put Haylie in daycare the first of the year. I know it's much more traumatic for me that it is for her, and I hope we both are eventually going to make the transition to smooth sailing. It actually hasn't been that bad, but there have been a few bumps along the way. My dear sweet 76-year-old mother has been taking care of her for the last year. Of course with Haylie being your very active typical 2 year old terror, it was really wearing my mom out. I kept asking her if she wanted me to put her into daycare, and she just kept saying "no, I want to do it as long as I can". Well one Friday after a particularly crazy week, I asked her again and she said "Yes, I'm ready." While I really didn't want to do it, I also don't want to kill my sweet mother. I'm just soooo grateful she got one whole year staying at home with GramGram, who is the best Grandmother in the whole wide world.

Of course it's not as easy as you might think finding a good daycare. All of the "good" ones have long waiting lists, especially if the child is not potty trained (which Haylie is still not). Some had up to 2 year waits!! Two of my patients recommended this place to me where their children go, and luckily they had an opening after the first of the year. So we officially started on Jan 7th and only left her for a 1/2 day the first day. Of course she screams "Mommy, mommy" still everyday when I leave her, but I know she stops before I even get into my car. It seems that they take good care of her and are kind and caring with her. The one thing I hate about it is that they don't give any kind of report at the end of the day, like if she ate, slept, pooped, etc. When you ask, they say they don't know because they have a morning shift that leaves at 2, and its the afternoon shift there when we pick her up. They don't have any kind of written report, which evidently most places do have. I know for a fact she is not napping well, because she will not just lie down and easily slip into dream land. At home she cries for 2-3 minutes, then plays in her crib for about 1/2 hour and then finally falls asleep with her music on. She will nap for 2 1/2-3 hours at home, once she finally goes to sleep. At daycare, she has to lay on a little cot on the floor and only has from 12-2 to sleep. Most days she comes home so tired looking. At least we can get her to bed a lot earlier!! Anyway, we've also of course all been sick since she started. She actually got a sinus infection the first week she was there and missed that Friday. I put her on antibiotics for a week, and it came right back and now she's back on antibiotics because she had a probable pneumonia last week. Luckily, she is much better today. But now I've gotten a terrible cold, as has my sister, and mom. We're just waiting for daddy to get it--of course that will be the most tragic, as he just knows he is going to die everytime he gets a cold!!!

Speaking of Daddy, he actually did an amazing thing this past weekend. He kept Haylie overnight for almost 26 hours straight, so mommy could go out of town. My dear sister Lisa got my mom, my other sister Marcia, and I all tickets to see "Wicked" in Louisville on Saturday night. We had a wonderful weekend just us girls and of course the play was wonderful (it was only my 3rd time seeing it!!). We shopped and then ate at the Old Spaghetti Factory. Since the play wasn't over till 11:00 pm we spent the night at the Galt House, and then got home around 2:30. Rich watched Haylie the entire time and lived to tell about it. He actually had to change 3 poopie diapers, which is 1 more than he has changed the entire previous year!! To be honest, my niece Julia who is 12 also stayed with him and helped out a lot. But Daddy did live to tell about it, and so did Haylie with only minimal collateral damage. She did take all of her clothes off during her nap, including her diaper. (That's what she does quite often during that 30 minutes she is playing before she falls asleep I told you about earlier!!) She then proceeded to pee in the bed and then fall asleep. Daddy left her sleeping buck naked and then just wiped the sheet with a papertowel when he got her up. Luckily, she didn't poop everywhere!!

Anyway, I know this is a long post, but I haven't updated for a while. Above are some cute pictures of what they do with Haylie at daycare. She has come home 3 times now with her hair french braided or in cornrows. There is a cute little Hispanic girl who works there who says she does it while they are sitting watching TV. The first day it happened when I picked up Haylie, all of the little girls in her room had their hair done. It was adorable!!

No comments: